Course Title: (A61) Appointed Person
Duration: 5 Days
Price: £870 + VAT (£1044 inc VAT)
Theory Resit: £150 + VAT (£180 inc VAT)
Practical Resit: £350 + VAT (£420 inc VAT) inc 1 full day practical training
Training Location: Emerson Cranes Training Centre, Freshwater Rd, Dagenham RM8 1RX
The Appointed person course is designed for all operatives responsible for the planning and execution of Lifting Operations. This course will make candidates more aware of the appointed person’s responsibilities and how best to fulfil them. Following successful completion of the course candidates should be able to identify and implement safe systems of work for lifting operations including writing risk assessments and method statements.
The learning outcomes include:
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of an Appointed Person
- Understanding relevant regulations & associated codes of practice
- Be able to recognise the differences of basic, standard and complex lifts
- Calculate sling sizes & angles, slinging techniques for balanced & unbalanced loads
- Explain the procedures for notification, liaising and reporting
- Recognise the capabilities and limitations of different cranes
- Be aware are of hazards – carry out effective risk assessments
- Select appropriate methods of communication
- Have an in-depth understanding of weights and measurements
- Be able to set up, erect, level and dismantle equipments pre and post lifting operations.
- Decide which cranes and accessories are required and how to apply them
The course must be followed up by an NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Controlling Lifting Operations – Planning Lifts (Construction), within two years. This will award you with a CPCS Competent Operator card for Appointed Person (Lifting Operations).
To further develop your abilities in managing safe systems of work, the Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course is recommended.
Other options for this course:
CPCS Technical Test Only (no training given).